Voluntary DisclosureWhat is a Voluntary Disclosure?

It is a declaration to HMRC for unpaid tax – a kind of Tax Amnesty. Over the past few years, HMRC has introduced a number of campaigns to make disclosing unpaid income and tax easier for those who have not fully paid their dues. These campaign come and go but you can still disclose even if a particular campaign is not available. Of course, HMRC’s sole raison d’etre is to recover as much tax as possible from all earned income. The campaigsn are set up to encourage you, the taxpayer to come forward and admit that you have not paid enough tax.

The Revenue is massively in favour of these campaigns which in the past have encouraged plumbers, electricians and frankly anyone with any offshore income to come forward and declare. The idea is that the level of tax penalties will be less severe if you volunteer the information rather than have HMRC come after you. They have recovered nearly £1bn doing this so you can see the incentive for them to keep on pushing!

Who Can Make a Voluntary Disclosure?

  • an individual
  • a nominated partner
  • a trustee of a trust
  • an officer of a company
  • an agent

HMRC are currently running two campaigns which you can use.

The Card Transaction Programme

Let Property Campaign

If neither of these campaigns applies to you then you can use the service to disclose other unpaid taxation:

Worldwide Disclosure – which is declaring any income that you may have received from countries around the world.

You can also use the service if you have any other income which has not been declared and the tax remains unpaid.

  • Income Tax
  • Capital Gains Tax
  • National Insurance contributions
  • Corporation Tax

How Is a Voluntary Disclosure Made?

Individuals have required to make a voluntary disclosure statement. They must register their interest in making a disclosure with HMRC using the Digital Disclosure Service. They will then receive a reference number and confirmation from the tax office. Then if they wish to use one of the campaigns available they must fill in a form and send in all the relevant back-up information and documents. They recommend that full disclosure should be made as soon as possible to reduce the eventual punishment. Any information sent should include calculations of how much income is being declared and the subsequent tax that is due. You will be asked to sign a disclosure certificate stating that you have fully complied and supplied all of the information due.

If you owe income tax or have made any gains that you should have told HMRC about then speak to us first. Once you have told them directly you will only have 90 days pay any unpaid tax. Call us before you speak to them for expert advice on what to do – don’t make the mistake of making a voluntary disclosure without help! We will provide help, advice & information in confidence and you will not even have to give us your name: 0800 471 4546

Submitting a disclosure voluntarily to HMRC puts you in the driving seat.

HMRC will give you maximum points for coming forward and submitting a voluntary disclosure. KinsellaTax are the people to prepare your voluntary tax disclosure form & report for you and fight your corner.

We will submit this on your behalf to get the best deal!

If you have deliberately misinformed HMRC then you can ask to use the Contractual Disclosure Facility (CDF) or Code of Practice 9.  If you make a disclosure in this way then this will protect you from criminal prosecution. This may result in the government not publishing your details on their website for a year!

Making a disclosure voluntarily means penalties will be substantially lower than if the revenue opened up a case against you. it will also ensure that your UK tax affairs are fully up to date so that you can relax!

Voluntary Tax Disclosure Advice & Information from Experts

Voluntary Disclosure Penalties will be substantially lower if you make a disclosure and co-operate fully during the process. The sooner you make submit an HMRC disclosure, the more chance you have of avoiding that dreaded letter landing on your doorstep. Our team make voluntary disclosures on behalf of clients daily, so we know how to battle with HMRC. Why use anyone else?

With KinsellaTax handling your investigation you are in the best hands possible.

To make a voluntary disclosure to HMRC call our investigation specialists NOW on 0800 471 4546.

Declaring Unpaid Tax To HMRC - Kinsella Tax


For a FREE confidential consultation call KinsellaTax.

Tax Investigation specialists fighting for your rights against HMRC

0800 471 4546


We're here to help you. Call 0800 471 4546 for free confidential help and advice 24/7
or fill in your details below.

*Please do not use this form to report anyone (we cannot take any action) or to sell your own services.

Translate »