Tutors and coaches who signed up to take part in HMRC’s Tax Catch Up Plan have less than three weeks left to pay any tax, interest and penalties owed…

HMRC’s Tax Catch Up Plan was open to tutors, instructors and coaches teaching subjects such as sports, music and academic private tuition, who wanted to come forward and declare their tax irregularities.

Tutors and coaches wishing to take part and disclose undeclared tax had until 6 January 2012 to take part. Those who chose to do so now have less than two weeks to pay HMRC what they owe by 31 March.

Head of Campaigns at HMRC, Marian Wilson, said:

“It is always better to come to us rather than wait for HMRC to come to you. People who tell us about tax they owe using this opportunity will pay a lower penalty than if we find them later.

“Those who owe tax and have not come forward should do so now. We have started analysing the information we hold and will begin the process of contacting them from April. They may not receive the same terms as those who notified us by 6 January, but terms will still be better than when we catch up with them.”

How do I know if I need to declare my tax to HMRC?

If you are a private tutor or coach and tax is not deducted from the pay you receive for instruction, coaching and tuition sessions, then this income should be declared to HMRC on a self-assessment tax return.

For more information on self-assessment tax returns please click here.

What does this mean for those who missed the opportunity to take part in the Tax Catch Up Plan?

HMRC say that they have collected information from the Tax Catch Up plan and from 1 April will be using this data to identify tutors and coaches who have not paid all of their tax and decided not to take up the opportunity to come forward and disclose any tax irregularities.

If you are a tutor or coach who has not declared all of your tax and did not choose to take part in the Tax Catch Up Plan campaign you could find yourself in trouble. If HMRC find you then you will receive higher tax penalties of up to 100% of the tax you owe and you could even face criminal prosecution.

If a criminal tax investigation is carried out by HMRC then your name and case could be published as a deterrent to those failing to declare all of their income and declare tax on time.

If you did not notify HMRC of undeclared tax by the 6 January deadline and you would like to get you tax affairs in order please contact KinsellaTax on 0800 471 4546 and we can contact HMRC on your behalf.

If you would like to declare unpaid tax to HMRC then professional advice from a tax investigation expert should be your first port of call; Contact us before you contact HMRC.

KinsellaTax staff consists of ex-HM Inspector of Taxes and ex-HM Custom and Excise Officers fully experienced in all types of tax investigations.

If you are worried that you have not declared all of your income to HMRC then call us on 0800 471 4546 to speak with a member of our team of tax investigation experts; or click here to fill in an online tax enquiry form.

Related Articles

Comments are closed.


We're here to help you. Call 0800 471 4546 for free confidential help and advice 24/7
or fill in your details below.

Enter captcha below:

*Please do not use this form to report anyone (we cannot take any action) or to sell your own services.

Translate »